Selecting a senior thesis topic
For many NAB majors, the senior thesis project is their most enjoyable and intellectually rewarding experience at Barnard. To make sure you have a similar experience, we can offer you several types of support:
- Attend the NAB program-planning meeting in the spring semester of your junior year. We will have an extended discussion about the process of selecting a mentor and thesis topic.
- Meet with the Director of the NAB program, Professor Rae Silver.
- Explore the research interests of Neuroscience faculty:
- within the NAB program
- in the Departments of Psychology and Biological Sciences at Columbia University, on the Morningside campus
- at the CU Medical Campus (use white search box in upper right corner of page)
- at the NY State Psychiatric Institute.
- at nearby universities, including NYU, Rockefeller University and Mount Sinai School of Medicine.
- Speak to your mentor and/or the Program Director to choose a lab in which to work and mentor from:
- Look into the labs in the many institutions in New York City.
- Contact mentors who have worked with Barnard College senior thesis students in the past
- Learn about labs who have provided Neuroscience and Behavior students work or mentoring opportunities in the past. Contact them to see if there are openings at the present time.